Friday, April 30, 2010

"We shape our tools. And then our tools shape us."

That's from Marshall McLuhan, my man for saying things that make my brain go fizzy. I thought it was an appropriate title for the theme of today's post: tools! The things we make are always a wonder to me. Giant buildings and bridges, huge interstates, our creations cover (too much of?) the Earth. How did we make them? How did we go from these soft, pink, fairly useless creatures to Masters of the Universe? Our machines and tools explain a lot about that, and how we think, and then how our thinking is shaped in turn (thanks Marshall!).




I did two of these. Somehow when I finish a drawing, I want to draw the same thing again, but different.


And here's the man with the hammer!

4 comments:

Julia Sverchuk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Sverchuk said...

You+Marshall McLuhan=perfect tandem! Beautiful machinery.

Danielle C. McManus-Sladek said...

I love these!- Danielle

Unknown said...

Thanks!